Start Learning Spanish in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Speaking Spanish

spence25usn
New in Town

Speaking Spanish

Postby spence25usn » February 2nd, 2010 11:06 pm

Hola! MI llamo Spencer. I live in Arizona, I am really interested in learning spanish, but every time I try to talk to someone in spanish they just speak english and give me no chance to learn the language. I could be saying the sentences wrong, but how would I know without a chance to practice. I would love to just try to talk spanish to become more aware of the language. Could someone help me?

Evandar
New in Town

Postby Evandar » February 3rd, 2010 10:50 am

Well, if you don't have any Spanishspeaking friends, perhaps you could find one somewhere, and you could speak over the internet? Perhaps find a Spanishspeaking person that wants to become better at speaking English, and you can help eachother? I don't know where you would find such a person, though. Maybe on the forums of Learn English. I wish you the best of luck. :)

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
rodney
Established Presence

Postby rodney » February 4th, 2010 11:45 am

This happens to me too, and I speak decent Spanish. It doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with your Spanish.

Tell them (in Spanish) that you're learning and you'd like to practice your Spanish:

Estoy aprendiendo español y me gustaría hablar en español porque necesito practicar, si no te importa.
I'm learning Spanish and I'd to speak in Spanish because I need the practice, if you don't mind.

Try a funny response. Be sure to smile and laugh so they know you're joking:

Está contestandome en ingles porque mi español suena feo?
Are you answering me in English because my Spanish sounds bad?

If they're responding to you with the correct answers, then your Spanish is at least good enough for them to understand. You're still practicing, even if they don't respond in Spanish.

Really, just be persistant. People will respond the way they respond, but don't let them stop or discourage you from speaking Spanish.
http://myspanishnotes.blogspot.com/
Read about real Spanish I learned from real conversations
No grammar, no verb conjugations, no textbook Spanish

spence25usn
New in Town

Ayudarme!

Postby spence25usn » April 16th, 2010 11:25 pm

I have a question about this sentence in Spanish. El proximo domingo amorzamos en la casa tu tia. Why does this translate into "Next sunday we will have lunch at aunt's house." I have been confused, because amorzamos I thought means "we love" in Spanish not "we have lunch". Please can someone clear this up for me.

rodney
Established Presence

Postby rodney » April 17th, 2010 8:56 pm

Actually, the word you're looking for is aLmorzar, which means to have lunch. I hope that clears things up for you.
http://myspanishnotes.blogspot.com/
Read about real Spanish I learned from real conversations
No grammar, no verb conjugations, no textbook Spanish

jpv206
SpanishPod101.com Team Member

Postby jpv206 » April 21st, 2010 1:56 pm

spence25usn,
Rodney's right; almorzar is the word for "to have lunch."

Why did you think "almozamos" meant "we love?" Probably just a bad guess, but don't stop guessing; people are usually right when they guess. And when you guess wrong, those episodes are usually burned into your memory, which is a great way to learn.

Imagine if you showed up at your aunt's house on a Sunday ready for some lovin', and all you got was lunch.... :lol:

simpleplansk1905
New in Town

Hola, i think...

Postby simpleplansk1905 » June 11th, 2010 6:16 am

I think maybe you thought it comes from the verb AMAR, if it's AMAR (love) then it would be AMAMOS (we love) but as some guys said before, in the example you wrote it's the verb ALMORZAR (to have lunch) so it'd become ALMORZAMOS (we have lunch).
You wrote "El proximo domingo amorzamos en la casa tu tia" but it should be "El domingo almorzamos en la casa DE tu tía"
Hope it hepls!

!Esfuérzate!

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Spanish”