Start Learning Spanish in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Higher Education in South America

David.M
New in Town

Higher Education in South America

Postby David.M » March 27th, 2008 8:37 am

There are a few things I'd like to know (All this applies to Venezuela in particular):

1.) What would my level of Spanish have to be like before I could even think of University in South America? Would I need some sort of qualification?
2.) Where do I start? Does anyone have any good information about what to do so you can study in South America?
3.) Which permits would I need? For both studying and working. And how to obtain them?

This is a serious option in my life and would be more than happy to gain some insight :)

Thank you.
-Driven by love-

alan
New in Town

Postby alan » May 18th, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi,

My experience is in Peru, not Venezuela, but hopefully it will be of some help.

Two universities here offer reputable programs. The Universidad Catolica and the UPC (universidad de ciencias aplicadas). The programs they offer foreigners are generally in the liberal arts, for example "latin american literature". When studying for more than three months, you require a Student Visa. You apply for this at the embassy or consulate in your country, where you need to present a letter of invitation from the school. At both schools, you require an advanced level of Spanish, sufficient to follow the courses and comply with coursework. Credits that you receive are generally transferable to your country and institution of origin.

Another much easier option is to travel on a tourist visa and register for tech courses at institutes... a computer class for instance. You don`t receive a transferable credit, but you will practice Spanish, learn about the course matter and make tons of friends. You will find almost no restriction in terms of language requirements. If you have enough Spanish to read the application form, you`re in, slim! Costs at these schools are very reasonable indeed; usually a month of full time classes will cost you under $200.

Have a great trip.

Alan La Rue
El Sol Spanish Language School
Lima, Peru
http://elsol.idiomasperu.com
Last edited by alan on July 18th, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
Joseph
Expert on Something

Uni in South America

Postby Joseph » June 14th, 2008 3:49 pm

David,

I don't have any experience in Venezuela in particular, but, I did study in Concepcion, Chile, when I was in school. At that time, my Spanish was probably Upper Beginner to Lower Intermediate.

There were not many formal prerequisites, except of course the willingness to immerse yourself and study, study, study!

I took 6 classes for 18 credits, studying literature and art theory. It was very difficult, but I really wanted to learn, so, I spent a lot of time studying. From what I learned from other friends who studied abroad, this is not often the case, since many people want to enroll in a foreign Uni in order to experience the culture more than do the hard research.

I also found that making friends was very important. In fact, I would never have passed Formal Aesthetics, had I not met my good friend, Rodrigo Contreras.

One suggestion I have is to speak at length with the adviser of your department in order to make sure that all your credits will transfer. I did this after I got back, and, it took six months to get the credits to transfer, however, I did eventually get all 18 credits and they went to one of my majors. So, I think it would be a good idea to look into this ahead of time!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

serena07
New in Town

Postby serena07 » October 30th, 2009 5:46 am

I m studying in Peru and I think it is the best place for higher education. There are many good schools and famous universities. I think you could easily manage your study and work there. english courses in london are also very nice for higher education.

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Spanish”