Start Learning Spanish in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

New adventures in Latin dance

Bouks
Been Around a Bit

New adventures in Latin dance

Postby Bouks » May 31st, 2009 10:14 pm

I have a new passion...I recently started learning Argentine tango, and I'm completely hooked. For those of you who like dance to any extent, I recommend you try a lesson or two at least, and get into the tango vibe.

This isn't prim and proper "ballroom" tango...this is the down-and-dirty, raw emotion and heady, dynamic partner dance experience that makes Argentine tango so unique.

I am finding that there's a devoted AT following in my town, and you find not only lessons but also milongas (formal dance sessions) at least a few times a month in different locations.

I haven't worked up the nerve to go to an actual milonga yet...that will take some more practice! But instructors have told me I pick it up fast. So I'll report back when I broaden my experiences to include whirling around a low-lit dance floor in a close embrace with total strangers :shock: :lol:

Do any of you have an AT community near you, and milongas? For those who don't dance..they're a first- rate people- watching venue :)

cacevedo222
Been Around a Bit

Postby cacevedo222 » June 12th, 2009 2:51 pm

Hey Bouks!
Argentine Tango is definitely one of my favorite dances! It's amazing to watch also...(and no, not the ballroom type!) My girlfriend teaches Argentine Tango and she is getting me started...Salsa is still my all time favorite! (I'm Puerto Rican) but Tango is definitely an attractive dance to know. Have you tried dancing Bolero? That is the slowest, smoothest, most romantic dance. Another bolero style is the more popular cha cha!

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
Bouks
Been Around a Bit

Postby Bouks » June 13th, 2009 3:20 am

Actually, I haven't tried bolero, but I did learn several standard ballroom and Latin dances in the past. I want to focus on Argentine tango right now because I really want to master it and explore all of its possibilities.

How fortunate that you have a girlfriend that teaches tango! I am envious. You could practice anytime...I have to wait until the weekend :( (And yes, I practically count the minutes until the next class!)

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Spanish”