Start Learning Spanish in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

hacer falta and faltar

rodney
Established Presence

hacer falta and faltar

Postby rodney » September 19th, 2008 11:07 pm

Puede alguien explicame la difirencia hacer falta and faltar? Y unos ejemplos, porfa.

Joseph
Expert on Something

hacer falta VS faltar

Postby Joseph » September 25th, 2008 6:39 pm

I'll give it a shot:

When we use the compound "hacer falta", we generally mean one of two things: to be unprepared when the time comes to do something, or to be necessary for some reason.

ejemplo: "no te procupes, hermano, no te hago falta, te recojeré tan pronto que me llames" (don't worry, brother, I won't let you down, I'll pick you up as soon as you call me).

ejemplo: "no hace falta que vengas, puedes quedarte allí" (it's not necessary for you to come, you can stay put over there).

With the verb "faltar", we are dealing with "intransative" meanings. Let's recall that by "intransitive" we mean a verb that doesnt have a direct object. "Faltar" means "to be missing", "for there not to be enough". There are a number of different ways to translate this idea, depending on the context.

ejemplo: ¿quién falta? (who's missing?)
ejemplo: ¿a quién le falta torta? (who stills needs cake?... i.e. how hasn't been served yet?)
ejemplo: el regalo me sorpendió tanto que me faltaban palabras para agradecer tu generosidad (the gift surprised me so much that I was at a lack for words to thank you for your generosity)

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
rodney
Established Presence

Postby rodney » November 24th, 2008 3:31 pm

I forgot all about this, thanks for the answer!
http://myspanishnotes.blogspot.com/
Read about real Spanish I learned from real conversations
No grammar, no verb conjugations, no textbook Spanish

hpwolfe
New in Town

hacer falta

Postby hpwolfe » January 27th, 2010 9:34 pm

Perhaps the meaning changes a bit from country to country, but here in Costa Rica, my Spanish teacher says that 'hacer falta' often means to miss somebody or something equal to the expression, 'te extraño.' Please don't lose all your money in a bar bet over this, but you might want to check it out. Though I can't site the reference source, I did copy from the internet > Hacer falta--to miss, to be necessary, to be in need of. Example: Le hace falta su novio. 'She misses her boyfriend.'<

Simply 'falta,' on the other hand means to lack, be missing. Me falta energía.

jpv206
SpanishPod101.com Team Member

faltar vs. hacer falta

Postby jpv206 » January 27th, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi hpwolfe, thanks for picking up this conversation!

My sense is this:

faltar refers to an absence... Le falta sal (It's lacking salt, it's missing salt)
hacer falta refers to a need... Le hace falta sal (It needs salt, there's not enough)

In this context le falta sal can mean there is a total absence of salt, they totally forgot to add salt in the cooking process. Maybe that's good if you're hypertensive.

In turn, le hace falta sal means it needs salt. Maybe there was salt added, but it needs more... it wasn't enough for your taste.

I always think of hacer falta when I want to make a recipe, but I check the cupboard and there's not enough.

Reik has a song "Vuelve," and the line is "Vuelve, sabes que tu me haces falta...." This corroborates your Costa Rican teacher... You might translate this as "come back, you know that I need you" or "you know that I miss you."

rodney
Established Presence

Postby rodney » January 28th, 2010 2:27 am

Gracias JP,

Ahora me quedo muy claro!
http://myspanishnotes.blogspot.com/
Read about real Spanish I learned from real conversations
No grammar, no verb conjugations, no textbook Spanish

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Spanish”