Start Learning Spanish in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

The Concept Of The Regional Spanish Series

Joseph
Expert on Something

The Concept Of The Regional Spanish Series

Postby Joseph » February 8th, 2008 10:04 pm

I'd like to open this thread in order to explore the concept of the Regional Spanish Series. I think that the idea of teaching regional forms of Spanish as complimentary content to core curriculum is, if not an inexhaustible, then a very fruitful topic, and I don't doubt that there are many, students and teachers alike, who have a great deal to say about it.

Some of the criticism that we've received has been quite interesting. Take this one for example: "...learning those regional nuances is NOT my priority [...] why do i need to learn those nuances when i can't even speak standard Spanish?" There is something really important in this comment. The students frustration evinces it. He seems to think that the content of the Regional Lesson is limited to "nuances". However, this content is much more than a subtle distinction or variation from the "Standard Spanish"; rather, it hones in on "lingua in situ", that is, language as it is wherever it's encountered.

While it's true that the Regional Series does offer some nuances, it focuses on "localisms", on the peculiarities of speaking or acting in different parts of the Spanish-speaking world. Now, the student quoted above asks a great question: How can someone possibly learn the peculiarities of a language without learning the standard first? In other words, how can I learn content without learning structure first?

I am grateful to this student for asking this very sincere question, and to address it, I'd like to build on a metaphor that was developed by Walter Benjamin, who was writing about the theory of translation. Benjamin supposed that language is like a vase. To translate, according to him, is to break the vase and systematically study the pieces so that they may be put back together again to resemble the original.

Now, to build on this, let's suppose that language is not just a vase, but a flower vase and that it has a bouquet of roses in it. We can break the vase and systematically study the pieces. The rules of this process of reassembling the vase could be called "grammar". This gives us the structure. But, a flower vase is only such insofar as flowers belong in it. Therefore, the flowers cannot be separated from the vase. The study of the qualities of the flowers could be called "content". And, given the diversity of Spanish language communities throughout the world, these "flowers" are likely to differ from one region to the next.

Language cannot be studied as pure structure or pure content; it must be studied through the synthesis of these two.

The Spanish language, in particular, lends itself to this kind of study, since it is spoken in so many different regions and has undergone so many transformations. The Core Curriculum of SpanishPod101.com provides a systematic approach to grammar and structure, while the Regional Series offers examples of how Spanish is spoken in actuality. For this reason, it's not recommendable for students to select one Series and only one; rather, the ideal course of study is to listen to both the Core Curriculum and Regional Series in order to reap the optimum benefit from our course, by learning structure and content at once, that is, by seeing how it is that the flowers fit in the vase.

I hope that this post has provided you with insight into what we openly admit is a controversial teaching method, and I encourage you all to participate in this discussion here as well as in the lesson comments of each lesson, in order that we may collaboratively explore and develop effective learning tools.

Muchos saludos,

Joseph

Bouks
Been Around a Bit

Postby Bouks » February 29th, 2008 3:37 am

For what it's worth...I am grateful to have the Iberian regional series lessons.

I am in Phoenix, Arizona...there's no shortage of Spanish here, of course. I could go anywhere and have instant exposure to the Spanish language. But I am interested in Spanish as it pertains to flamenco dance, which I currently study. I also have been to Spain, and plan to go back, but next time I want to be better equipped to get around.

If I'm seen dancing Sevillanas with castanets, and then I start talking like a Mexican, I still will probably be appreciated, but something wouldn't be right. If I perform Sevillanas and then speak proper Iberian Spanish, that is what's going to earn me the credibility I'd like to have as a dedicated flamenco student.

I realise that that's probably not a typical situation, but there are plenty of programs out there than only appeal to the "typical" business person or tourist. I'm glad that you're aiming higher and reaching out to a wider market that addresses more specific needs. That's called competitiveness! You're doing great.

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
rodney
Established Presence

Postby rodney » April 16th, 2008 7:51 pm

I love the idea of regional Spanish. It's a great idea, and I know of no other service that offers this. I think to say that regional Spanish lessons have no value is a mistake. What is to be debated, is whether or not the regional Spanish lessons provide enough value to continue to develop them while there is a clear lack of sufficient content for the beginner, intermediate and advanced levels of Spanish. And I think the answer to that question is no.

It seems to me that SPOD101 should focus on building it's library of "standard" Spanish across all levels, and once an initial threshold is reached, then start producing regional spanish lessons. After all, knowing tidbits of regional Spanish does you no good in the big picture when you can barely speak Spanish at all.

Joseph
Expert on Something

Development, Growth and Lesson Content

Postby Joseph » April 17th, 2008 2:00 am

Rodney,

Thanks for your comment. I think you've made some really insightful observations. The issue of the Core Curriculum is one that we're taking seriously, however, we feel that the Regional Series does not serve the sole purpose of teaching regional "tidbits", as you say; but rather, it offers explanations of the language as it's actually used.

When I think back to how I felt when I was trying to learn Spanish, I can sympathize your feelings that learning "regional" forms of speech is not very useful when you "can barely speak Spanish at all", as you say. Yet, I have to ask the question, with whom are you going to speak Spanish? I mean, when we apply what we learn from these lessons, aren't we always speaking to someone who's from some "region"? With lessons coming out of Europe, Central and South America, SpanishPod101 covers the major Spanish-speaking regions, so no matter where the Spanish-speaker you're conversing with is from, you'll have the inside perspective from the start.

Moreover, the Regional Series is not restricted to regional speech. As you'll notice, every regional lesson teaches grammar and vocabulary, albeit from a different perspective and with a different method than the Core Curriculum lessons. So, in this regards, it does not seem accurate, from my point of view, to call this content "regional tidbits".

Nonetheless, I agree with you that SpanishPod101 will greatly benefit from more Core Curriculum Lessons, which is why we have a Lower Intermediate Series in the works. We'll keep you updated on this as progress is made. Also, I encourage you to listen to the Verb Conjugation Series, since this is one of the major topics in Spanish grammar.

I find it interesting, though, that you (as well as a handful of other students) are so adamant that we put the Regional Series on hold and publish Core Curriculum lessons exclusively. Why is this? What is it about these lessons that you enjoy so much? I am very interested in hearing your feedback, so that we can work to meet your needs more effectively. Is there something else you'd like to hear the Regional Lessons cover? Any feedback you can offer will be a great service to us. The other thing that I'd be interested in learning is how you use SpanishPod101: Do you use the Free or Premium Audio? Do you use the Learning Center? Do you use the forum to ask grammar-related questions? Again, the more we know about how you use our course, the better we'll be able to help you.

Thanks for your participation in the forum and in our course.

Saludos cordiales,

Joseph

rodney
Established Presence

Re: Development, Growth and Lesson Content

Postby rodney » April 17th, 2008 1:58 pm

Joseph wrote:Rodney,

Thanks for your comment. I think you've made some really insightful observations. The issue of the Core Curriculum is one that we're taking seriously, however, we feel that the Regional Series does not serve the sole purpose of teaching regional "tidbits", as you say; but rather, it offers explanations of the language as it's actually used.

First I want to say that by no means do I want to trivialize the importance or usefulness of the Regional Series by using the word "tidbits", that was just the word that came to mind at the time. And I think that you all do a great job of offering "explanations of the language as it's actually used".

When I think back to how I felt when I was trying to learn Spanish, I can sympathize your feelings that learning "regional" forms of speech is not very useful when you "can barely speak Spanish at all", as you say. Yet, I have to ask the question, with whom are you going to speak Spanish? I mean, when we apply what we learn from these lessons, aren't we always speaking to someone who's from some "region"? With lessons coming out of Europe, Central and South America, SpanishPod101 covers the major Spanish-speaking regions, so no matter where the Spanish-speaker you're conversing with is from, you'll have the inside perspective from the start.

Agreed. For those who are fortunate enough to actual be able to interact with Spanish speakers (this is a problem for many people), it's great to get that perspective. And in fact, if you happen to be traveling, it can be really useful, and make communication easier.

Moreover, the Regional Series is not restricted to regional speech. As you'll notice, every regional lesson teaches grammar and vocabulary, albeit from a different perspective and with a different method than the Core Curriculum lessons. So, in this regards, it does not seem accurate, from my point of view, to call this content "regional tidbits".

You made a very important point here - " the Regional Series is not restricted to regional speech". And you're correct, using the word "tidbits" incorrectly describes the value of the content.

Nonetheless, I agree with you that SpanishPod101 will greatly benefit from more Core Curriculum Lessons, which is why we have a Lower Intermediate Series in the works. We'll keep you updated on this as progress is made. Also, I encourage you to listen to the Verb Conjugation Series, since this is one of the major topics in Spanish grammar.

I love the Verb Conjugation Series. You guys haven't produced lessons on the tenses I'm studying yet, but I'm anxiously anticipating those. To me, this is yeat another great idea that you all have implemented. And I think it's very important that you all continue to not only teach the verb tenses, but continue to teach how the verb tenses are actually used (or not) by native speakers in everyday Spanish, because there are several differences in how tenses are used between English and Spanish, even though the usage may be "grammtically" correct.

I find it interesting, though, that you (as well as a handful of other students) are so adamant that we put the Regional Series on hold and publish Core Curriculum lessons exclusively. Why is this?

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe this is a problem of perception - what your audience percieves to be of value and their current demand for it v.s. what SPOD101 perceives to be it's current priorities and direction.

You mentioned the upcoming Intermediate Series earlier - this is what I'm waiting for. In fact, I think a lot of people are waiting for this. SPOD101 has been around for several months now, but yet there are NO intermediate lessons at all. Which means there is an entire audience of people being ignored (or at least that is the perception). And I think this is where the real problem lies...your audience feels that there should be some intermediate and advanced lessons (actual lessons, as opposed to blog readings) by now. Especially people like myself who have become paid subscribers.

It's frustating to not have materials available that meet your needs. And to be honest, if I hadn't already purchased a basic subscription, I doubt I would be spending much time here. Not because of the quality of your product, but simply because you aren't publishing anything that meets my needs, therefore justifying the amount of time and effort I invest into using your resources.

As for the debate about the Regional Series , I firmly believe that if you all were currently publishing intermediate and advanced lessons the only discussion about the Regional Series would be about how great they are.

What is it about these lessons that you enjoy so much?

Pesonally, I enjoy the format and delivery of all the material you have published so far. I thinks it's really, really, good.

I am very interested in hearing your feedback, so that we can work to meet your needs more effectively.

I would like to see more material related to where I am in my studies, which is intermediate lessons. The vast majority of lessons, regional or otherwise, are for beginning students. In general, I would like to see material that not only covers grammer, but most important to me, is learning how Spanish is spoken by native speakers, whether it is grammatically correct or not. I want to be able have conversations using not just correct grammer, but using the common colloquiallisms and nuances of the language as if Spanish were my first language.

Is there something else you'd like to hear the Regional Lessons cover? Any feedback you can offer will be a great service to us.

I think they're great. I've never had any problem with them. At the moment they are all tied to beginner lessons, so I hope that as the lessons progress to higher levels, the Regional Series will keep up.

One other thing I'd like to see - the US included as a Spanish region. It's clear that Spanish spoken in the US has been influenced by English. This is something any serious Spanish student in the US will pick up on very quickly, and I've also noticed it because I'm done a little traveling in the Spanish speaking world. Anyway, just a suggestion.

The other thing that I'd be interested in learning is how you use SpanishPod101: Do you use the Free or Premium Audio? Do you use the Learning Center? Do you use the forum to ask grammar-related questions? Again, the more we know about how you use our course, the better we'll be able to help you.

At the moment I just have a basic subscription, so I guess I'm using the free audio and I don't really know how much (if any) of the learning center is available to me.

Overall, I use SPOD101 as a supplement to my other materials that I consider my "core" learning materials. Currently I don't consider SPOD101 as a course per se, but as I'm starting to see more things develop and get introduced, so I may change my mind about that.

As for the forum, I don't use it much because it's not very active. I use another forum that I've come to rely on where I can get quick responses and input from Spanish speakers all over the world.

Thanks for your participation in the forum and in our course.

Saludos cordiales,

Joseph

Whew! That was a lot. All in all, I think you guys are doing a great job,. Rome wasn't built in a day, and as SPOD101 matures I think it's going to be one of the the absolute best places on the net to learn Spanish.

hpwolfe
New in Town

Regional Spanish

Postby hpwolfe » January 27th, 2010 9:47 pm

I understand the feeling of learning 'nuances' when one does not even know basic Spanish. However, it is not a 'nuance' when one is actually living in the region--it IS basic Spanish for that region. Some country folks in Costa Rica would hardly know what you were trying to say if you were to say 'toalla.' For them, it ( towel) is a ´paño.' In reverse, it is even worse. I think it is much more important to be able to hear a language than to speak it. I have been speaking Spanish for two years, but I often can't comprehend what is being said to me. So, even if everyone knows what I mean when I say 'toalla,' that is not very helpful for me when they say ´paño.´ If I can hear the language, I will be able to speak it much sooner.

The regional approach is a very much a value added aspect for me.

rodney
Established Presence

Postby rodney » January 27th, 2010 11:17 pm

LOL, looking back on this topic almost 2 years later, I now think SP101 was correct in producing regional lessons, and although I did appreciate the value of those lessons then, I truly appreciate them even more now.

Too bad the focus of regional lessons has died now though. Oh well.

If any SP101 staff members are reading this, I'd love to see the regional spanish lessons come back. At least Mexico and España.

"it is not a 'nuance' when one is actually living in the region--it IS basic Spanish for that region"

Well said hpwolfe.
http://myspanishnotes.blogspot.com/
Read about real Spanish I learned from real conversations
No grammar, no verb conjugations, no textbook Spanish

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Spanish”