a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

For all you Polyglots out there!

FlyingFin
New in Town

For all you Polyglots out there!

Postby FlyingFin » January 31st, 2008 5:13 pm

Hey there fellow Spanish learners,

I just extended my trial with a 1 year premium subscription, and I have high hopes for this site ;) Just like many of you, I am an aspiring Polyglot and consider languages one of the most rewarding and satisfying things that one can ever study.

In my quest for knowledge I found the following forum to be indispensable:

www.how-to-learn-any-language.com

I know the name is kind of corny, but this place is truly one-of-a-kind. I highly recommend you take a look. The site has other things too, not just a forum. Go ahead and click the Forum link at the top menu bar though!

Cheers,
FlyingFin

Joseph
Expert on Something

Another Resource

Postby Joseph » February 2nd, 2008 4:12 pm

FlyingFin,

Thanks for sharing that interesting link. It looks like there's a lot to explore on that page, and especially in that forum!

So, what languages do you work with? One site that I've used for a while, and which is just a monster of a project is: www.perseus.tufts.edu. I'm not sure if you're familiar with this one or not, but, let me just say, for those who aren't familiar with it, that it may take a little time to figure out what it offers. Anyway, I thought it might be up you alley.

Well, I'm glad to have you with us at SpanishPod101.com and I look forward to supporting you in you studies of Spanish.

Saludos,
Joseph

Join by May 6th
FlyingFin
New in Town

Re: Another Resource

Postby FlyingFin » February 2nd, 2008 6:07 pm

Joseph,

I've been tackling Japanese for the past 8 years and it doesn't look like I am stopping any time soon! I am a native speaker of both Swedish and Finnish, and my Dutch is improving daily. If you are familiar with any Germanic languages, Dutch will prove to be one of the easiest languages to learn that you'll come across :)

I daresay that I've been sampling a lot of languages just to get a feel for things.

I decided to add Spanish as I've never been seriously studying it, and I do feel that I have to break into the Romance family sooner or later. I feel too comfortable in my more familiar Germanic languages! Oh yeah, I almost forgot that I've also started having a look at Tagalog as my girlfriend is from there.

I studied Mandarin for about 4 months, and it is now on hold.

By the way, your link doesn't work.

Oh yeah, and there is a WEALTH of awesome information in that forum, especially in the section Lessons in Polyglottery where Dr Alexander Arguelles shares some of his ideas and techniques on language studying. This man is amazing.

Cheers,
Petteri

joseph wrote:FlyingFin,

Thanks for sharing that interesting link. It looks like there's a lot to explore on that page, and especially in that forum!

So, what languages do you work with? One site that I've used for a while, and which is just a monster of a project is: www.perseus.tufts.edu. I'm not sure if you're familiar with this one or not, but, let me just say, for those who aren't familiar with it, that it may take a little time to figure out what it offers. Anyway, I thought it might be up you alley.

Well, I'm glad to have you with us at SpanishPod101.com and I look forward to supporting you in you studies of Spanish.

Saludos,
Joseph

Joseph
Expert on Something

Gaining ground

Postby Joseph » February 3rd, 2008 6:05 pm

Petteri,

Good to hear from you again. I'm really looking forward to having such a dedicated student involved in our course. You have a really interesting background, with all those languages that you've studied. I think that this will be a really interesting opportunity for you to build a foundation in Spanish, which will hold, to some extent, if you desire to check out other Romance languages.

My language studies have been limited to Spanish, Portuguese and Latin. I've browsed some German grammar books with lots of ambition yet little time. I hope to return to it in the future, as I still have an unwavering desire to read Husserl in German. ;-)

As you'll find with the Spanish language, the morphology is quite a bit simpler than, German say, or Latin, since there are no declensions. Notwithstanding, it is valuable (but not essential) to know the different cases of nouns, as it makes it easier to understand certain rules, in particular those which involve prepositions. If Im not mistaken, the preposition in Vulgar Latin was what eventually made the declensions of Classical obsolete.

In any case, as you familiarize yourself with out other students, you'll realize that there are few other students with the rich linguistic and methodological background that you have. I encourage you not to hesitate to ask technical questions, as these can always be explained in such a way that everyone understands. Plus, I think it's a good idea for everyone to learn a little linguistics, even if they don't think they need it in order to learn Spanish.

I'll be publishing a document about how to use our course this week, so keep your eyes open for that. And, as for the link to Perseus, maybe give it another shot. I was able to follow it from the forum and get to the page. Not sure what that is all about.

That's all for now. Thanks for your collaboration.

Saludos cordiales,

Joseph

FlyingFin
New in Town

Postby FlyingFin » February 3rd, 2008 10:40 pm

Joseph,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. The link works now, I guess the site must've been down last time I tried.

I'll make sure to post any questions I might have.

Cheers,
Petteri

Joseph
Expert on Something

working link

Postby Joseph » February 5th, 2008 9:25 pm

Petteri,

Yeah, I think you're probably right. The Perseus Project sees a lot of traffic and sometimes it can be slow; but, in my opinion, it's well worth the wait. Have you seen how every word of the classical texts are linked to a morphological analysis and a textual reference, not to mention the dictionary of antiquities!?!?! It kind of blows my mind.

Yes, by all means, post your questions here, or in the comments section of particular lessons. Looking forward to the next question!

Saludos,

Joseph

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Spanish”