Start Learning Spanish in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Cebiche Peruano

Joseph
Expert on Something

Cebiche Peruano

Postby Joseph » January 23rd, 2008 4:47 am

"Cebiche" (also spelled "ceviche") is a traditional Peruvian dish made with the freshest fish, rocoto (red hot pepper), lime juice, salt, garlic, celery and parsley. It's typically served with boiled yam and Andean corn, as seen in this picture. The fish is not cooked, but cured by the acid from the lime juice. From the time that the lime juice is added to the time the dish is served, usually about 3 minutes go by. Flounder is a Peruvian favorite for this dish, however, any kind of white, flaky fish works fine. There are many different recipes and in recent times, culinary creativity and explored many new possibilities with this dish.

alan
New in Town

Postby alan » July 18th, 2008 4:30 pm

What a great picture, Joe... Makes me hungry just looking at it.

I have been told by some of the old-timers here that years ago the fish was actually left to "cook" in the lime juice much longer, but beginning in the 70`s and 80's, and due to the influence of Japanese cooks, the fish began to be served rawer and rawer. Personally, I prefer the modern version, since the fish retains more of its flavor. If its left soaking too long in the lime juice, it gets kind of chewy and the lime overpowers the flavor of the fish.

Saludos,
Alan
Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Spanish”