a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

My name in espanol?

tharris
New in Town

My name in espanol?

Postby tharris » February 3rd, 2010 1:00 am

Hi there -

I always get perplexed looks from Spanish speakers when I tell people my name: Todd.

I'm thinking of adopting an alterna-persona with a name easier to pronounce.

Does anybody have a suitable suggestion? Or how might I convey my real name to people so that it makes sense. I doubt there's a Spanish equivalent like Juan/John, etc.

Thanks!

Evandar
New in Town

Postby Evandar » February 3rd, 2010 10:45 am

Hey there Todd. I don't see why they get so perplexed by your name, but perhaps there is some word that sounds just like it? I chuckled the other day when I saw a Brazilian or Portuguese football player named Duda (doubt in Spanish). Anyway, I don't really have a suggestion. Personally, I have a completely uninternational first name (Mats...what, don't you step on mats?), so I sometimes use my middle name, which is Richard, and sounds pretty sweet in English (not that great in Norwegian, actually). And in fact, my whole name is Mats Richard Lind, so since I'm studying Spanish, Felipe (a friend) & I came up with a new Spanish name for me: "Ricardo Lindo". Is it too vain? :twisted: In all seriousness, I'm considering making Evandar my legal first name, as it seems to work in Norwegian, English and Spanish.

So, lots of nonsense from me, but perhaps you can glean some inspiration from all of this? ^_^

Get 40% OFF
jpv206
SpanishPod101.com Team Member

Postby jpv206 » February 3rd, 2010 4:16 pm

tharris,

Haha, the name "Todd" doesn't seem like an exotic name to me, but to a Spanish speaker, it may be odd... (assuming you're American) they don't have the aspirated /t/ that we have, or that American /ah/ vowel that's in your name. Also, I'm trying to think of celebrities with the name "Todd" that Latinos would know... and I can't think of anyone. So maybe "Todd" is odd to them...

As for your Spanish name.... you could...

a) just insist that people call you Todd; totally valid, it's your name after all

b) Look for a name that sounds like Todd... Maybe "Teodoro?" which they'll shorten to Teo... http://www.20000-names.com/male_spanish_names_03.htm

c) pick a totally different name... your Mexican friends give you nickname regardless, it will take them about 30 seconds to do that.

d) See what your middle name gets you. When I tell older people my name is John Patrick, many immediately decide to call me Patricio, because to them, the second name of a double first name is the primary name. My saint's day, correspondingly, is San Patricio on March 17th.

Let us know what you come up with!

Evandar,
"Rico Lindo" is kind of awesome... haha

tharris
New in Town

Postby tharris » February 3rd, 2010 4:24 pm

Evandar and JP -

Great (and hilarious!) advice.

I'm leaning towards option (c) although I'm a little frightened what that might get me. I was "toad" for a great deal of my youth.

I'll do some experimentation over the next few days and report back!

Todd

Evandar
New in Town

Postby Evandar » February 4th, 2010 10:10 am

My pleasure, I'm here to please. ^^

Toad, what a foul nickname! Kids will be kids (ie nasty if you let them), haha. Option C is a good one, there are many cool names to choose from. Let me hear what you end up with.

And "Rico Lindo", JP? That's even more over the top, lol. I'm gonna start insisting on my Bolivian friend calling me that from now on, I wonder how long our friendship will last...

SeanMc
New in Town

Postby SeanMc » April 8th, 2010 2:41 pm

The key to a name is to identify who you are and recognize when you are being spoken to. My name (Sean) in Spanish is Juan, I think. I have a friend with that name, so that would not work. I could go by Robert, which would then become Roberto. The flaw is that I doubt I would answer to it. So now I just answer to the Spanish pronounciation (SAY on), which is the present subjunctive of ser, thus fairly easy for a Spanish speaker to pronounce.

jpv206
SpanishPod101.com Team Member

nombres y apodos

Postby jpv206 » April 9th, 2010 2:55 pm

A new taco truck has showed up in front of my office building in Midtown Manhattan. I've been there quite a few times, enough times to be given a new Mexican nickname. Don Roberto at the grill handed my tacos to the kid at the salad station, and tells him "son para el primo." I'd say there's a 50/50 chance he'll call me "el primo" next time I show up for tacos. If not, he'll give me another name, and if not that one, then another... and eventually one of them will stick.

Yes, I told him my real name, but that's totally irrelevant! haha

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Spanish”