Start Learning Spanish in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Office setting - phone conversations

Karenn
New in Town

Office setting - phone conversations

Postby Karenn » December 1st, 2008 2:38 pm

I would be very interested in a few lessons on business/office phone conversations. This is something I've had trouble finding information on, and yet it's something I'm sure many of us struggle with.

For example, when I answer the phones and a Spanish-speaker calls, often our bilingual worker is not there. I need to inform the caller that the bilingual worker is not in today, but will be in tomorrow (for example). Then I need to take the caller's name, phone number, find out what the caller needs, when she will be available by phone, and if it is an emergency. Finally I need to inform the caller that the bilingual worker will return the call when she returns to the office.

I've finally gotten to where I can convey this information well enough that the callers understand. Understanding them is often a challenge, of course, but I can tell them my Spanish is limited and ask them to speak more slowly. If there is an emergency, I tell them to call a hotline with Spanish speakers.

I often think phone conversations are the hardest thing to do in Spanish, and my students find it eaually difficult in English! Beginner or lower intermediate levels would probably work.

Karenn

Joseph
Expert on Something

phone conversations

Postby Joseph » December 2nd, 2008 4:45 am

Karenn,

Great idea! Look for lessons based off of your suggestion when we roll out Beginner Season 3 in the Spring. Thanks for helping us adapt our content to better meet your needs.

Saludos,
Joseph
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Spanish Lesson Suggestions”