Start Learning Spanish in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Lessons on everday tasks

rodney
Established Presence

Lessons on everday tasks

Postby rodney » September 6th, 2008 2:34 pm

It would be nice to have a series of lessons that tell us how accomplish everyday tasks.

E.g. Doing household chores, grocery shopping, doing laundry, taking care of dry cleaning, going to the bank and depositing/withdrawing money or applying for a loan, ordering pizza, etc, etc.

I think this would be really great, because it's nearly impossible to find this type of content anwhere, but yet it's so critical to our learning and ability to be able to effectively use and master the language as it applies to our everyday lives.

A few other suggestions would be talking about commuting to work, taking the car to the mechanic...the list is endless.

Thanks!

Joseph
Expert on Something

Everyday Tasks

Postby Joseph » September 8th, 2008 12:23 pm

Rodney,

Thanks again for your suggestions. I've enumerated them below. We can definitely work these into future lessons. A couple more questions. With regards to these lesson topics, are there any English questions or sayings in particular that you would like to learn in Spanish? Of course, this is open to everyone. If so, please respond here and indicate which number a given question or saying belongs to.

1) Doing household chores
2) grocery shopping,
3) doing laundry,
4) taking care of dry cleaning,
5) going to the bank and depositing/withdrawing money or applying for a loan,
6) Ordering food for pickup
7) commuting to work
8) taking the car to the mechanic

Finally, at which level would you be interested in hearing these lessons? (Newbie, Beginner, Lower Intermediate, Upper Intermediate).

Thanks for helping us customize this course for you.

¡Muchos saludos!
Joseph

Get 40% OFF
rodney
Established Presence

Re: Everyday Tasks

Postby rodney » September 8th, 2008 6:35 pm

Joseph wrote:Rodney,

Thanks again for your suggestions. I've enumerated them below. We can definitely work these into future lessons. A couple more questions. With regards to these lesson topics, are there any English questions or sayings in particular that you would like to learn in Spanish? Of course, this is open to everyone. If so, please respond here and indicate which number a given question or saying belongs to.

For me, there is nothing in particular per se, I'd just like to be able to talk about these things in Spanish and learn enough to actually conduct these activities in Spanish.

But I did put somethings with each item below, which hopefully clarifies the type of information I'm interested in.

1) Doing household chores

I'd like to learn the names of common chores, and how to ask/tell someone to do them, and are they done. Especially giving directions to children.

2) grocery shopping

I'd like to hear the related vocabulary ( like shopping carts, cash registers, plastic bags, names of common food items, etc), what aisle something is on, talking about how long the lines are, how fast or slow the lines moves, paying cash versus check, coupons, etc.

3) doing laundry

The vocabulary related to laundry - washers and dryers, washing powder (powder and liquid form), bleach, preparation for doing the laundry (separating whites and darks, counting the number of loads), folding clothes, perhaps even covering the instructions some garments give regarding their care. Maybe even something about the good old fashioned clothes line.

4) taking care of dry cleaning

Again, vocabulary. Talking about the hours, dropping clothes off and picking them up. Identifying various types of clothing slacks, dress shirts, etc, etc.

5) going to the bank and depositing/withdrawing money or applying for a loan

I'd really just like to see some basic banking stuff here. How to say you'd like to perform a certain type of transaction, basic vocabulary, maybe even discussing online banking, ATM's, the drive through, deposit/withdrawal slips, safety deposit boxes, investments, etc.

6) Ordering food for pickup

Asking if they deliver, is there a delivery charge, stating you want the food delivered, asking for delivery hours, asking where the delivery guy is with your food, do they accept credit cards, etc.

7) commuting to work

Talking about traffic, the length of the drive, expressing frustration, how long it takes you to get to work, etc.

taking the car to the mechanic

Scheduling appointments, discussing the bill, perhaps some vocabulary for common things like oil changes, tune ups, windshield wipers, brakes, the names of all the commonly discussed auto parts, etc. Discussing how long repairs will take. Describing simple problems.

Finally, at which level would you be interested in hearing these lessons? (Newbie, Beginner, Lower Intermediate, Upper Intermediate).

Maybe you could use the newbie and beginner levels to introduce basic vocabulary and "how to" situations, and then in the Lower and Upper Intermediate lessons progress to having more complicated scenarios based upon the content introduced in the lower levels. That way everyone can benefit.

Joseph
:D

Joseph
Expert on Something

Postby Joseph » September 10th, 2008 1:40 pm

Great, Rodney, thanks! This is going to help us a lot. Even though it would probably be a more long-term implementation, I really like the idea of developing a scenario in the lower levels and then bringing it up to the higher levels. That could really create some incentive, huh? Great idea!

We are working on the curriculum for upcoming lessons right now, so your suggestions came at an opportune moment, and a number of them will be covered rather soon. Thanks again for sharing your ideas with us, and I hope that others follow your steps.

Saludos,
Joseph

Return to “Spanish Lesson Suggestions”